So I am officially 30! Lovely. I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to this birthday at all. It wasn't just the age thing, either. Life just isn't what I expected in this moment, and is lonelier than I had hoped. But, I have been blessed with an AMAZING group of friends and family that did their best to keep me from dwelling on it. I am eternally grateful for that, as it made this birthday very special. Plus, with my birthday being on Sunday, I managed to get a whole weekend's celebration out of it. Here's the rundown:
On Friday, some of my best-est friends the Turners surprised me with a Cookie Bouquet at work! I have to admit, these are a guilty pleasure, but I usually get a bite of one every couple of years or so by random chance. So I was very excited to get my own! Unfortunately, some of the cookies were injured in the transport from work to home (not by me) and I managed to only get pictures of the two that remained intact. You can see how yummy they looked by the picture above. (I am enjoying a taste of a cookie as I type!). Then my friend Amy at work gave me a gift card for a massage, which is totally awesome. I already have plans for that one. Friday night led to pedicures with Mom and Heaf, which are always a good time.
Mom, Heaf, and I spent most of Saturday afternoon shopping, but I think the heat wore all of us out sooner than we expected. We then got to play some indoor "Slip-n-Slide" with Ella, which basically involves her diving on her nap map from school in her bathing suit and pretending to dry off. Still not that easy for big people since we're all longer than the mat and end up with carpet burn!! :)
Sunday brought church and lunch at Saltgrass (another favorite) with the folks. I got a Happy bday call from John and Paula (the in-laws) and an email from Jared (brother-in-law). It was really good to hear from them. Then I ran a couple of errands to get Ella's presents ready for our party that night. Later, I got an email that was unexpected, but much appreciated.
The party was at one of the McKinney city pools, but it was actually a great set-up for the kiddos. The shallow end had a sloped entrance and allowed the kids to walk in to very shallow water which was great. Then there were two large anchored floats. One was a snake, and the other was a sectional alligator that the kids could walk across with rope monkey bars above it for holding on. It was so intriguing that one of the "big kids" (27 yr old Jon) decided he could run across without using the ropes, like they do on that crazy Japanese MX game show or the Wipeout reality show. Let's just say he made it about 3 steps and ended up with one MAJOR rope burn! I think we may have to sign him up for the game show, but I don't think he'd win. It was totally classic! There were about 50 people laughing at him. Good times.
There was a great crew of people there. Most of the small group came, along with some old (and new) friends from Webb Chapel, and a couple of Ella's neighbor friends. We had a pretty good time. Once the pool crew kicked us out, we headed back to Heaf's house so Ella could open presents. She got all sorts of junk that a 3 year old girl would love: My Little Pony, Barbie, a gardening kit, books, stuffed animals, a bike from Nana and Pawpaw and an indoor trampoline from Mim and Grumps. That kid stocked up!! I got some great cards and gift cards, along with a couple of other gifts (movie, candy, James Avery charm).
Then back to work on Monday...but the birthday kept going. I'm beginning to think this turning 30 thing rocks! I got a free lunch, another gift card for a massage, a gas gift card from the company, balloons, and more bday cards. Then my friend Christine took me to dinner because she couldn't make the party on Sunday. Plus, I got other cards from friends in the mail, which is always nice compared to getting bills!!
I know this is an eternally long post, but there was a lot that packed itself into this weekend. I just want to say thank you to all my friends and family that made the effort to make this birthday such a special one. It ususally stinks to get old and hit this kind of milestone, but you all made it so wonderful that I could never complain. Love you guys!
On Friday, some of my best-est friends the Turners surprised me with a Cookie Bouquet at work! I have to admit, these are a guilty pleasure, but I usually get a bite of one every couple of years or so by random chance. So I was very excited to get my own! Unfortunately, some of the cookies were injured in the transport from work to home (not by me) and I managed to only get pictures of the two that remained intact. You can see how yummy they looked by the picture above. (I am enjoying a taste of a cookie as I type!). Then my friend Amy at work gave me a gift card for a massage, which is totally awesome. I already have plans for that one. Friday night led to pedicures with Mom and Heaf, which are always a good time.
Mom, Heaf, and I spent most of Saturday afternoon shopping, but I think the heat wore all of us out sooner than we expected. We then got to play some indoor "Slip-n-Slide" with Ella, which basically involves her diving on her nap map from school in her bathing suit and pretending to dry off. Still not that easy for big people since we're all longer than the mat and end up with carpet burn!! :)
Sunday brought church and lunch at Saltgrass (another favorite) with the folks. I got a Happy bday call from John and Paula (the in-laws) and an email from Jared (brother-in-law). It was really good to hear from them. Then I ran a couple of errands to get Ella's presents ready for our party that night. Later, I got an email that was unexpected, but much appreciated.
The party was at one of the McKinney city pools, but it was actually a great set-up for the kiddos. The shallow end had a sloped entrance and allowed the kids to walk in to very shallow water which was great. Then there were two large anchored floats. One was a snake, and the other was a sectional alligator that the kids could walk across with rope monkey bars above it for holding on. It was so intriguing that one of the "big kids" (27 yr old Jon) decided he could run across without using the ropes, like they do on that crazy Japanese MX game show or the Wipeout reality show. Let's just say he made it about 3 steps and ended up with one MAJOR rope burn! I think we may have to sign him up for the game show, but I don't think he'd win. It was totally classic! There were about 50 people laughing at him. Good times.
There was a great crew of people there. Most of the small group came, along with some old (and new) friends from Webb Chapel, and a couple of Ella's neighbor friends. We had a pretty good time. Once the pool crew kicked us out, we headed back to Heaf's house so Ella could open presents. She got all sorts of junk that a 3 year old girl would love: My Little Pony, Barbie, a gardening kit, books, stuffed animals, a bike from Nana and Pawpaw and an indoor trampoline from Mim and Grumps. That kid stocked up!! I got some great cards and gift cards, along with a couple of other gifts (movie, candy, James Avery charm).
Then back to work on Monday...but the birthday kept going. I'm beginning to think this turning 30 thing rocks! I got a free lunch, another gift card for a massage, a gas gift card from the company, balloons, and more bday cards. Then my friend Christine took me to dinner because she couldn't make the party on Sunday. Plus, I got other cards from friends in the mail, which is always nice compared to getting bills!!
I know this is an eternally long post, but there was a lot that packed itself into this weekend. I just want to say thank you to all my friends and family that made the effort to make this birthday such a special one. It ususally stinks to get old and hit this kind of milestone, but you all made it so wonderful that I could never complain. Love you guys!


4 comments:
Happy Birthday. Sorry we missed your party.
I am so glad we could help make your birthday better than expected. I wouldn't have it any other way for my "best-est" friend!
I am thrilled that you were able to have such a great birthday weekend. That indoor slip n slide thing sounds kinda fun. Sorry we missed your party. I would have liked seeing that guy try to make it all the way across.
Happy Birthday AL!!!! I love you. I love you. I love you. ( from me, Ella and baby boy to come)
Post a Comment