Monday, July 21, 2008

Mamma Mia!







This weekend was a huge hit for the movie industry. "The Dark Knight" has basically torn up box office records left and right and is on pace for total world domination. As I have yet to see it (don't want to mess with all the crowds this early), I will be giving my opinion on "Mamma Mia!" instead.

I went to see this movie on Friday night with Lynn (aunt) and Casey (cousin), who had seen the show on Broadway and really loved it. Basically, I had seen one preview and knew some of the ABBA songs prior to watching this version. No major expectations on my part....and that was a good thing.

The movie isn't terrible, but neither is it some work of genius (like I know DK will be!). The basic premise of a girl trying to figure out who her dad is before she gets married isn't bad. She has three candidates who fit the timeline, so she invites them out to the Greek island where she and her mother still live a few days before the wedding. (The scenes filmed in Greece provide gorgeous scenery).

Overall, the movie is a funny "summertime" show with upbeat and recognizeable music from ABBA. There are some good comedic performances from people you wouldn't normally expect to present them, and the singing is ok. You have to understand that the stars chosen are not primarily trained as vocal performers, so don't expect their presentations to be top-quality.

There is one major pitfall to this movie - the subplot that involves Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan evaluating their long-held feelings for each other. There is no way on earth that you will ever convince me that they have any romantic chemistry at all! When Pierce starts singing what is supposed to be a love song to her, I nearly choked while trying not to laugh. I needn't have worried, as about half the audience started laughing too. It was a total train wreck. He's not that great of a singer, and it was totally cheesy! Then when she returns the favor of a love song later, it is just as painful. Meryl looks like she is dancing to a song playing on the camerman's stereo just off-camera. So pathetic.

Outside of those two scenes, the movie is full of goofy fun that most people can enjoy. And it gives everyone an excuse to sing all those cheesy ABBA songs with no embarassment! Just be prepared - THEY WILL NEVER LEAVE YOUR MIND ONCE YOU LET THEM IN!! I saw it on Friday night, and have the Mamma Mia! MegaMix still playing in my head even as I type this. You have been warned. Listen at your own risk!

4 comments:

Sherry Turner said...

Awwww that is so sad. I was really looking forward to that being a good movie. I guess I will just have to rent it one night when I am alone so that I can sit and laugh by myself since my husband has no desire to see it. Thanks for the review!

Alison said...

I'll go see it with you anytime! It's still fun, even if I didn't like parts of it! It's kinda cool to enjoy the music and stuf on the big screen - wouldn't have the same impact at home.

Lisa said...

I am glad to hear this. That way I can go see it with the appropriate expectations. I will still see it, but now i will know what to expect.

Anonymous said...

I told Sherry this movie was going to blow.