Sometimes I feel like a freak....ok....all the tacky comments can now stop. You done yet? Ok. I'm well aware of my overall freak status. But, this discussion is going to be specific to one area of life - sports.
I LOVE sports - volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, tennis, Xgame sports, etc. It's pretty much all good times to me. I've played many sports, and I love to watch them too. But - I'm also a girl. I realize that it's 2008, and we've come a long way, but I still sometimes feel like a weirdo for enjoying sports and being semi-knowledgeable about them. I'm the girl that grew up with her mom and sister getting up for the Rose Bowl parade, and then taking over the TV so Dad and I could watch all the bowl games. Dad played and coached different sports for a number of years before I exsisted, so it was a natural thing for us. I'm no die-hard junkie that has like 15 fantasy teams (Dave!) or watches every college football game on Saturdays, but I like a good game.
I tend to only be interested in games that have some type of connection for me - it's a local team, I'm familiar with a certain player, etc. I'm not one for watching random people compete, except during March Madness or the Olympics. For those times, randomness is half the fun. Who's going to be the Cinderella of the season, or the no-name track athlete that becomes an overnight sensation when all the big competitors choke? Sometimes the chaos is what makes it worth watching.
Anyway, I was reminded this weekend of how weird it can be to watch some great stuff on TV and then not really know who to talk to about it. There are only a few males that know me well enough to understand that I'm not a complete moron when it comes to sports. I don't ever claim to know every trivial detail about teams, players, or offensive/defensive plans, but I do know the rules, concepts, and have an above-average understanding of game strategy. It's interesting to me, and I like to keep up with what's going on in the wide world of sports. I think that can make me look either like a freak that's trying too hard to be "one of the guys" or the one that all the other girls just think is weird for knowing that much in the first place.
So for those guys who will actually engage in conversation with me about the game without patronizing me and let me watch when all the other girls are already bored...I thank you.
For you girls who love me even when I get excited because Felix Jones had a great game as a rookie on the same day Nadal gets beat in the semis...I thank you. You are all the best!!
I LOVE sports - volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, tennis, Xgame sports, etc. It's pretty much all good times to me. I've played many sports, and I love to watch them too. But - I'm also a girl. I realize that it's 2008, and we've come a long way, but I still sometimes feel like a weirdo for enjoying sports and being semi-knowledgeable about them. I'm the girl that grew up with her mom and sister getting up for the Rose Bowl parade, and then taking over the TV so Dad and I could watch all the bowl games. Dad played and coached different sports for a number of years before I exsisted, so it was a natural thing for us. I'm no die-hard junkie that has like 15 fantasy teams (Dave!) or watches every college football game on Saturdays, but I like a good game.
I tend to only be interested in games that have some type of connection for me - it's a local team, I'm familiar with a certain player, etc. I'm not one for watching random people compete, except during March Madness or the Olympics. For those times, randomness is half the fun. Who's going to be the Cinderella of the season, or the no-name track athlete that becomes an overnight sensation when all the big competitors choke? Sometimes the chaos is what makes it worth watching.
Anyway, I was reminded this weekend of how weird it can be to watch some great stuff on TV and then not really know who to talk to about it. There are only a few males that know me well enough to understand that I'm not a complete moron when it comes to sports. I don't ever claim to know every trivial detail about teams, players, or offensive/defensive plans, but I do know the rules, concepts, and have an above-average understanding of game strategy. It's interesting to me, and I like to keep up with what's going on in the wide world of sports. I think that can make me look either like a freak that's trying too hard to be "one of the guys" or the one that all the other girls just think is weird for knowing that much in the first place.
So for those guys who will actually engage in conversation with me about the game without patronizing me and let me watch when all the other girls are already bored...I thank you.
For you girls who love me even when I get excited because Felix Jones had a great game as a rookie on the same day Nadal gets beat in the semis...I thank you. You are all the best!!


4 comments:
I'm sure James wishes I shared your enthusiasm for all things sports. he gets so mad when he wants to watch and talk sports and I am like uuummmm NO!
I am glad you said this. I have wondered if I was subjecting my daughter to torture as she fell asleep on my lap during the Colts and Bears.
You are a freak, but I love you anyway! My husband appreciates the fact that somoene will talk sports with him. I can only go so far with the football or basketball conversations before you lose me. Someone's got to love it!
Mike and I were just talking this morning about this! You are no freak! I love sports too, and while I probably don't know as much as you, I LOVE watching and talking about them. I'll be your sounding board!!! (Good thing I love sports since I am married to a sports junkie.) ;)
Post a Comment