Well, I figured since I had changed my background to something more Christmas-y, I should post something other than Thanksgiving Thoughts. I'm sure you've all just been dying to hear more from my insane mind. So here goes:
Am I the only one who finds it harder and harder to figure out what to buy people for Christmas......and what to ask them for? I used to be so good at figuring out what people might like (or at least pretty close), and it seems like I have no clue these days. Does this mean I'm just getting old??
Plus, my mom keeps asking me what's on my list, and I can't think of anything to tell her. Not that she can say much. I think we actually got a list from her one time in the past 30 years. Since I wasn't around before that, I can't say for sure, but I'm betting she didn't have wish lists anytime before that either.
Anybody have any ideas???
Ok...moving on to my next Christmas thought. Disclaimer: please don't be offended. There, now you can't sue me. Get ready:
Am I the only Christian who could care less that Jesus is the "reason for the season" or isn't worried about "keeping Christ in Christmas"? Or the newest that I've heard- that "Santa" is just a rearrangement of "Satan", so we can't acknowledge him. Seriously people....why can't we just accept that Christmas is a holiday full of fun with a dash (hopefully) of materialism? Really, there is absolutely no proof that Jesus was born on December 25th, so do I really need to make him a birthday cake and sing "Happy Birthday"??? I feel like the only reason Jesus' birth was ever associated with Christmas in the first place was beacuse some old church guy back about 500 years ago or so decided that the holiday needed some extra "spirituality". Can't Christians just have some generic, healthy, fun without having to make it religious too?
It's not that I don't appreciate the fact that Jesus came to earth. Clearly, my faith and salvation would be worthless without that. I'm eternally grateful that God thought we were all worth it enough to make that sacrifice. It just makes me wonder if we almost demean the majesty of it all by going crazy over sweet baby Jesus in the nativity scene and what kind of holiday greeting we use (Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays), and then only focusing on it for like 30 days per year. Am I the only one who thinks it's completely illogical? I just get irritated over the fact that it's all just become another item on the Christian "agenda" that we try to force on the world.
Ok - that's enough of my rant for one day. Don't forget...I did provide a disclaimer!
So....what's on your Christmas list? :)


4 comments:
I have decided that I don't need anything and neither do the ones I love. We are all greedy enough to go out and buy the things we need and want all year round. Leaving nothing to buy for Christmas. I can't think of 1 thing to buy for James. Not even 1!!!
In answer to your question....you may just be. But as a Retail Mgr, I can't avoid the worldly materialism, it keeps me employed.
I also do not intend to offend anyone--but Alison, you are NOT the only one who is perfectly happy letting Christmas just be a fun holiday filled with food, family, friends. parties, lights, presents and Santa...there are at least 2 of us...but we may be the only two! :)
And as far as the "what I want for Christmas" list goes, I used to be pretty good at figuring out what to get for people too...but I think all of us probably have been so incredibly blessed that there is little that we need or want that we don't just go out and get for ourselves these days. But I AM getting old and the part of Christmas (and birthdays, etc) that I enjoy most is just getting together with family and friends and spending time with each other. That's the very best present of all!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Pam
Post a Comment