Thanksgiving is almost here, so I thought I would take a few minutes and get blogtastic about the Turkey-fest that it is.
First, let me say that I feel very blessed in my life right now. I have a wonderful family and friends, food, shelter, a job, a car, and many of those non-essentials that put me way above the poverty line, both physically and spiritually. Many people, especially in this current economic crisis, are struggling with just the basics. God has always given me more than enough, and I am beyond grateful for that.
Having said that, I want to have a little fun. See, I'm not a big Thanksgiving fan. For me, it's always been an easy, "free" holiday. I'm all about 2 days off work. Even when in school, I just liked the fact that it was a vacation. I've decided that the main reason I don't really like T-day is because I'm not a big fan of the food. Out of everyone I know, I would venture to say that I know only about one other person who might consider ham and macaroni and cheese a perfectly acceptable Thanksgiving feast. (I won't name names). So I thought I'd go through what is considered a "traditional" Thanksgiving feast, and provide my own personal thoughts.
Turkey - Although I'm a big fan of some Boar's Head Maple Glazed turkey thinly sliced for my sandwiches, I'm not interested in a big fleshy, dried out hunk of meat. On the very rare occasion, I'll take some if it's of the Cajun deep-fried variety.
Stuffing (Dressing, to some of you) - I have found only about 2 recipes that I've even attempted to eat. I love me some bread, but to drown it in broth until it becomes disgusting mush is just more than I can handle!
Green Bean Casserole - Now, I will eat green beans (if I absolutely have to force down a green veggie), and I use Cream of Mushroom soup in lots of recipes. But - I can't eat them together - it's just wrong. I wonder who ever thought they would be tasty when mixed. I'm guessing someone without taste buds.
Sweet Potatoes - Why would someone want to traumatize a poor, innocent marshmallow this way? Please, give them their dignity back and put them in the steaming hot tub of chocolate they belong in!
Cranberry Sauce - I have to draw the line here. Anything that sits on a plate while retaining the shape of the dirty can it just got de-suctioned out of is officially off my list. Seriously....there's a reason Jell-o doesn't make a mold that looks like a dirty tin can. It's not just me!!
Pumpkin Pie - OK, so am I the only one who thinks thins stuff looks like someone picked the nastiest Gerber baby food, threw it all in a blender, and then dumped it in a pie crust??? SO gross.
So, now you know why I'm not much of a Thanksgiving fan. To each his own, I guess. Now....on to Christmas!!!!!!!
Check out the new bakerella.com
16 years ago

3 comments:
You crack me up!!! I love the Turkey and sweet potatoes, but I will have to agree with you on the green bean casserole and the stuffing. Not really for me. Although James loves them so they still get made. I certainly agree with your last statement. BRING ON CHRISTMAS!!!
What's the word for a Thanksgiving GRINCH? As for the marshmellows, they are good on EVERYTHING!! Well, almost everything. I love Thanksgiving food.
You are so funny! Ditto with James - you're the Grinch who stole Thanksgiving. :)
Yeah, I think the canned cranberry sauce is pretty gross too. I prefer fresh, homeade. But, how can you not like green bean casserole?? YUM!
Post a Comment